A Sculptor on Canvas: The Art of Luis-Fernando Suárez
Before we begin
Some interviews begin with a list of questions. This one began over a year ago over glasses—and sometimes bottles—of red wine.
Over countless conversations, Luis Fernando Suárez has become much more than an artist whose work I admire. He has become a friend, a mentor, and someone who has quietly shaped the way I look at art. Whether discussing painting, philosophy, politics, or simply life, he has a remarkable ability to slow you down and encourage you to look a little longer, think a little deeper, and remain open to changing your perspective.
Walking into his Montréal studio for our first formal interview felt surprisingly familiar. Surrounded by richly textured paintings and works in progress, it felt less like conducting an interview and more like continuing a conversation we had already been having. What follows is a glimpse into that conversation—one about material, memory, time, and what it truly means to live as an artist. (My voice is in bold).
How would you like to introduce yourself?
I will say that the first thing is, my name is Luis Fernando Suarez. I'm Colombian, born in 1971, November. I am a human being. Fully conscious of that. I am an artist painter. I am a person who enjoys arts and likes to share my art with people.
That's the way I define myself.
Did you always want to be an artist?
Yes. Since I have memory, I always wanted to be an artist. I didn't know at the beginning what it means to be an artist, when I was a kid, but I had memories since the age of five years old. At that age I was always drawing, making things from newspapers, so I knew I always wanted to build something with my hands. Through the years, I understood that this desire is called art, and I decided to pursue this career, this life.
Do you look at it as a life or a career?
Honestly, for me, it's the only way I can exist.
So it's life.
What inspires you as an artist?
I would say that it is more than inspiration as I have a moral obligation and necessity. Art is only the excuse to share how I see life, how I see the human being. How is the relationship between nature and us, including politics and social problems etc. Art is a tool to talk. This is my relationship with art.
You spent some time in Mexico City?
Yes.
Tell me about Mexico City.
Mexico City, wow. I start going the first time, maybe seventeen or eighteen years ago. The first time I was there is because I saw, here in Montréal, in the streets, publicity about Frida Kahlo exhibition. And I always like Frida Kahlo, the life. And so, I take a plane for one weekend, I was there.
It's a city, which is like a monster. It's huge. It's noisy. It's a city of extremes. You have the most beautiful and the most ugly, according to our standards. The rich and the poverty. It's a city of extremes. For me, (Mexico City) is like an old woman. You have so much history in all these streets. It is chaotic, but very green. There are a lot of trees.
I was born in Bogotá, which is a big city like Mexico City, and I feel very comfortable there from the beginning, even if it is very big and chaotic. For me it was very familiar. Montréal, where I live is a very peaceful, sometimes boring city, because Canada is a very young country. Mexico or Latin America is not only since the moment it was discovered by the Spanish, in 1537, I think, they have all the cultures like the Incas, the Mayas. So this area in Latin America, in Mexico particularly, is full of history. And you can see the history and the culture in their architecture and their people. It is a beautiful country and I invite everyone to go.
Do you see a lot of similarities between Montréal and Mexico City?
The similarities I can see is the creativity. Because I am an artist, I know a lot of artists here (in Montréal) and I know a lot of artists in Mexico too. And all of us, we are struggling with how we can create something new. This desire is something that we share in both cities. Montréal is more structured city, a more disciplined city. Mexico, everything is possible.
Montréal is like a person who work eight to five and after, they sleep. Mexico City is a person who never sleeps, is super active. But both have the creativity.
Do you find they both influence your art? And if so, how?
My relationship with Mexico is very young. So Montréal has more influence in my art because I came here 29 years ago when I was 24. So in a certain way I grow up like a young adult, I became an adult here. So my personal development is Montréal, and Montréal has more and more identity for me, or more importance or influence than Mexico. What happened in Mexico is, Mexico opened my eyes to more universal subjects. I would say that Montréal, is the inspiration of the subject, I talk with more intimate subjects. In Mexico I talk more social or group of subjects. That is the difference between both cities, according to your question.
Tell me about your artistic process.
So the artistic process, first of all, when I decided or when I choose Canada to come, is because I want to be an artist in a certain way. In Colombia it's possible to be, but it's very elitist, and it's very expensive to go to the universities there in art. I came from a very humble family, so the economical possibilities was not there. To work and study there in art will be almost impossible. So life bring me to Canada and I decided to choose Canada because I found it a very neutral country, peaceful country, and for me, it was something I was looking for. In Colombia, I live during the decades of the 80s and 90s, where the violence was very present. Bombs, killing, kidnapping, and it was very hard visually and emotionally. I always say that I'm part of that generation in Colombia that we are traumatized by the violence, something in Canada, they don't know what is that. I came here and I try. I went to the university and I tried drawing. I discovered I was completely useless for drawing. I did my best, but it's not something that I have that capacity, so I decided to work in abstract is the best field for me, because they allow me to express anything. For me, abstract is more freedom than the figurative things. And I start working. I'm very gestural. In Latin American culture, we touch everything. We are touching the trees all the time. We are touching the partners. We are touching family, kissing, hugging, in Canada, the relation between the bodies are different. The people don't touch, people have a very big personal space. In Latin America we don't have personal space. So that influenced my work. I work with my hands, and here in Canada I discovered a material they called chip-rock or compound. It's a material that we use for the walls for drywall, and since I meet the first time, that materials, which I never knew in Colombia, 29 years ago, I fell in love. And I like it because it's dirty. I can touch all the time. When they dry, the material, they make cracks. And with the time I discovered that the cracks is like a person having wrinkles or scars.
Sometimes I do the open house here in the studio. They do in Montréal, something they call La Nuit Blanche. It's two or three times a year, the city opens museum and galleries and I open my studio to everybody. So I have people, 200 people, and the people touch and they're very surprised because they do something that was not allowed in galleries and museums. My paintings, some architect tell me, that it's a mix between painting and sculpture, because in the sculptures, people want to touch. And you can see volume. In my paintings you don't see volume, but you see relief. As I told you in the beginning, I make full. Everything was full, no spaces. And someday in COVID, I don't know why, I start as always horizontal in the floors, and I draw a line and I start working on the part on the superior of the line, above the line, and I discover, because when I start painting horizontal, after I put it vertical so with liquid, so accidentally, accidentally no, the gravity makes it work to leak the things and they make lines or vertical lines. And for me was a big surprise. I discovered that I can be out of my routine. I was out by accident. At the time, I thought it was an accident, now with the distance of time, I know that no, it's no accidents in life.
Everything happens at the moment they need to have happen. Relationship, illness, to lose somebody. We don't lose the mother when we want to lose her, we lose her when we need her to live and sometimes we are prepared, sometimes not. In my case, that line appears so many years after I start painting and help me to see another perspective, so I start working on the top, and I don't touch the bottom line. The bottom line is for me, in a certain way, the history of the painting. Many colours, I work on the top, liquids they go down and you can see the history. I don't believe in perfections. I don't believe that somebody or the situation has to be perfect or beautiful or of any beauty. This part sometimes is ugly. It's not Perfect. See that for me is beautiful, it's the history of the painting.
In three words...
The second word I will use is time.
It's related to contemplation, you need time. But it's because my paintings take time for me to do. I'm not doing something in one week. I take time to produce. This time is like a river, it is in the same place, but the water going is not the same. It's different. Time is exactly the same. So I want my paintings to live their time. I have paintings that I made 20 years ago, and they have a subject and now I see the painting, the object didn't change, but the time changed and changed, so the time is very important for me.
And the other word I will use is weight.
For me, it's a very organic process. So by nature or by personality, I am a super emotional person. I am very sensitive or sensible, I have trouble with that word.
Sensitive
*laughs*
In my case, I am organic, emotional, spontaneous. Another part of my work is spontaneity. Everyday, I'm different. Everyday the painting can change. And I don't care. Honestly, I don't care. So coming back to your question, I know the painting is finished when my stomach turn. There is a, I don't know how to call that part. I don't have any interest to know. But when something important in my life happens, my stomach turn. At that moment I learned to listen. Some people, they call intuition. I don't know. So when I'm looking at painting, because I have the contemplation to be painting is not only the exercise with the hand, or my brush, it is to look the painting. This exercise I ask to the public, is because I did already in the past. At certain moments I know the painting is finished because my stomach turns, so the first thing I do, I varnish. I seal in a certain way the painting, so the seal in the paintings, they like a shield to avoid myself to again change the painting. Because if I continue, I continue. So at the moment my stomach turns, I varnish the painting, at the moment that painting is finished and doesn't belong to me anymore, I put it, and he will have his own life and his own process to do by himself.
And how would you like to be remembered as an artist?
I don't have any desire to be remembered as an artist.
that is a very good question. I thought a lot of times of that. I think for me I want to, more than remember the individual that I am, is to remember the time where I live. Okay, so which kind of society Luis Fernando Suarez the artist live there? And more than remember like a person I want to remember, I want to be remembered like I contribute something for this particular time, for the society. As a human being, being alive, we will have a finished time and in 200 years nobody will remember me. Like right now, we don't remember trillions of people preceding us, in the past, in history. But sometimes we remember is the work of that people and that work of the people like Albert Einstein, we remember him because he made some theories, we remember Newton because he made some theories. We don't remember Newton as a person, we remember him or Galileo or Frida Kahlo or whatever it is, it's not because the person himself is what they contribute to this time, to their times. So if I want to be remembered, I prefer to be remembered with the actions I contribute to the society in this period of time, and how my work could survive contemporary for 300, 400 years, and if it's not, it's perfect, I will disappear in 50 years maximum, and until now, I'm very happy with everything I accomplish in my life.
Closing Reflection
As I prepare to leave Montréal—a city that has been home for nearly two years—this conversation feels especially meaningful. It arrives at the close of one chapter, just before another begins. Like Fernando's paintings, life has a way of revealing itself gradually, layer by layer, often making sense only in hindsight.
Before that next chapter unfolds, I'm looking forward to taking a small summer break: a chance to rest, reflect, spend time with family, and absorb everything these past two years have offered. When I return to writing, I'll carry many lessons from this city with me, but few have been as lasting as those shared in Fernando's presence.
If there's one thing this friendship has taught me, it's that art isn't something we simply look at—it changes the way we look at the world. And for that, I'll always be grateful.
Comments
Post a Comment